Minister refuses to give timescale on Ajax after soldiers left vomiting

16 hours ago 3
Chattythat Icon

Cemlyn Davies, Wales political correspondentBBC Wales

PA Media An camouflage patterened Ajax Armoured Vehicle stationary with trees and a wooded area behind it.PA Media

Ajax armoured vehicle use has been paused after soldiers became unwell during a military exercise

The defence secretary has refused to give a timescale on when investigations into the troubled Ajax armoured vehicles programme will conclude.

The Ministry of Defence (MOD) paused testing of the machines after 35 service personnel across 23 vehicles became ill, with reports of soldiers vomiting and shaking following training last year.

The multi-million pound Ajax vehicles are made in Merthyr Tydfil by General Dynamics, which employs about 700 people. It said it had confidence in the vehicle and soldier safety remained "our highest priority."

Visiting Cardiff, John Healey said he recognised the uncertainty for the workforce and that the investigations would be completed "as soon as we can".

The Ajax vehicles were originally due to enter service in 2017, with 589 vehicles ordered.

However, the £6.3bn programme has been beset by problems and repeated delays.

In November it was announced that the vehicles were finally ready to be deployed on military operations, while the UK government said it was "confident" Nato allies would be interested in buying the machines.

However, following subsequent issues, use of the vehicles was paused.

PA Media Secretary of State for Wales Jo Stevens, Defence Secretary John Healey and First Minister of Wales Eluned Morgan during a visit to Cardiff Castle which is in the background. They sit at a table with documents in front of them as they hold pens preparing to sign a defence deal.PA Media

John Healey has announced a UK government £50m investment in the defence sector in Wales

Asked about the project on Thursday, Healey said: "My first duty is to make sure that those armed forces who put their lives on the line to protect us all are not damaged or put at risk by the kit - the systems - we provide so our determination is to continue working with General Dynamics."

He added that he wanted to "get to the bottom of the problems once and for all, work out how we fix them, whether we can fix them".

"I've always said we have to make this project work, we have to back it or scrap it, we're doing that with General Dynamics at the moment."

Pressed on when the investigations were likely to conclude, Healey said: "We'll complete them just as soon as we can and we will continue to update parliament on the progress we make on that".

PA Media Soldiers in helmets and goggles riding in a khaki Ajax armoured vehicle. Mud is flicking up from the wet ground around the vehicle as it is in motion.PA Media

The first delivery of Ajax Armoured Vehicles was made eight years behind schedule after encountering problems

Healey was in Cardiff to announce a UK government £50m investment in the defence sector in Wales.

He signed the deal alongside Secretary of State for Wales Jo Stevens and the Welsh First Minister Eluned Morgan.

The first minister said the Welsh government was "very keen to see the [Ajax] situation resolved" as there were "a lot of jobs at stake".

According to the MOD, the Wales Defence Growth Deal signed at Cardiff Castle on Thursday will make Wales a UK "launchpad" for drones, and will make it easier for Welsh businesses to compete for defence contracts.

A new defence technical excellence college is also due to be established by September 2027, however no details were given on where that would be located.

Morgan said those discussions were "continuing".

General Dynamics said: "We have confidence in the performance and the protection that Ajax provides our soldiers."

A spokesman added: "This is the most tested combat vehicle we have ever produced and the world's most advanced, fully digitised, armoured fighting vehicle.

"Since 2019, we have worked with the British Army and the MoD to conduct extensive testing and trials and will continue to do so. Soldier safety remains our highest priority."

Read Entire Article