![]()
The attack took place at the Heaton Park Hebrew Congregation Synagogue.
A 49-year-old Iraqi national has been charged in connection with last year's terror attack at a synagogue in Manchester, in which two men were killed and three others seriously injured.Hekmat Omar Ali Hakim, of St James Road in Higher Broughton, has been charged with failing to disclose information regarding terrorist activity under Section 38B of the Terrorism Act 2000, the BBC reported, citing counter-terrorism police.Hakim has been remanded in custody and is due to appear before Westminster Magistrates' Court on Friday. Police said the charge relates directly to the attack on the morning of October 2, 2025.
Two worshippers killed in Yom Kippur attack
The attack took place at the Heaton Park Hebrew Congregation Synagogue on Yom Kippur, the holiest day in the Jewish calendar.Jihad Al-Shamie, a 35-year-old Syrian-born British citizen, drove into the synagogue gates, injuring a security guard, before attacking worshippers with a knife.Melvin Cravitz and Adrian Daulby were killed in the attack. Three other men were seriously injured and were treated in hospital before being discharged.
Al-Shamie, who was wearing a fake suicide vest, was shot dead by police at the scene.
Police call charge a 'significant development'
Assistant Chief Constable Rob Potts, head of Counter Terrorism Policing North West, described the charge as a "significant development" in the investigation.Police said there had been eight arrests in connection with the attack, with Hakim's case being the first charge to relate directly to the events of October 2.Investigators said they remain committed to establishing the full circumstances surrounding the attack and identifying anyone who may have been involved.
Attacker's associate jailed for life
In a separate case, Mohammad Bashir, 31, was jailed for life in July with a minimum term of 17 years after being convicted of preparing acts of terrorism.Bashir had plotted with Al-Shamie to target the UK's Defence Academy near Shrivenham and drove him on a 10-hour round trip to conduct hostile reconnaissance of the site in August 2025.Weeks later, Al-Shamie carried out the deadly attack at the Manchester synagogue.

1 hour ago
1




