
EPA/Shutterstock
There was a major police presence in Manchester city centre earlier
Six people have been arrested after a Britain First march and counter protests caused "significant" disruption throughout Manchester city centre.
The arrests had been made in relation to the assault of an emergency worker, a public order offence, breach of the peace and breach of a dispersal notice, Greater Manchester Police (GMP) said.
The force put in place a dispersal order across the city centre earlier, set to last until 20:00 GMT, which gives officers the power to remove people from a specific area.
Assistant Chief Constable Rick Jackson said police had to bring in 50 extra officers as well as mounted and dog units to ensure the protests "remain safe and respectful for those involved".

EPA/Shutterstock
A dispersal order remains in place in the city centre until 20:00 GMT
He said there had been "significant disruptions across the city centre" and officers were prioritising the safety of the public.
"We will continue working with local communities, businesses and partner organisations to ensure these protests remain safe and respectful for those involved."
The march organised by the far-right group saw people gather outside Piccadilly station, while counter-demonstrations were held in the city centre.

Reuters
Police were out in force to manage the march and counter protests
Pictures have shown those taking part in the Britain First march and counter protesters coming against lines of police in riot gear.
Ch Supt Danny O'Neil said the order gives police powers to remove individuals from a specific area for up to 48 hours and aims to prevent anti-social behaviour, crime, harassment, alarm or distress.
He said the dispersal order was brought in due to there being a number of protests and marches planned for Saturday, as well as the Manchester City v Newcastle United game taking place at the Etihad Stadium.

EPA/Shutterstock
A police dispersal order has been in place since 10:00 GMT

2 hours ago
1





